Search This Blog

April 24, 2021

Review: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can’t pull it off alone. 

A convict with a thirst for revenge

A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager

A runaway with a privileged past

A spy known as the Wraith

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes


Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first.

As someone who had a fun time reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy, to hear how much better Leigh Bardugo got at story telling between the two series, I was so excited. I've heard so many amazing things about the characters, the story and the world and that paired with my excitement to already go back into the Grishaverse, a world I loved so much, I was more than ready to jump into the world. After hearing so much about the story and individual characters, it was more than surprising to see how much I was still blown away. 

Starting with the writing, I think it was so incredibly perfect and easy to suck you into the world. There were times when I put the book down but my mind still felt like I was in Ketterdam with the characters. It was so incredibly immersive and it felt like you were actually there for everything. The mood just helped with that as Bardugo managed to expertly make a tone so dark, somber and suspenseful that had you feeling like you were actually right there with the gangs and dangers of that world. I do love the realism dashed in, the commentary on human trafficking, poverty, addictions, racism, corruption. I will admit it had its moments where I felt kind of bored and would have to put the book down (notably right at the beginning) but that quickly was done away with and the action started, making it hard to even want to put the book down. I would often struggle with wanting to keep reading and wanting to savor the story more. I think the only thing that really took me out of the story was that I found it difficult at times to keep up with the plan being explained, I don't know if it was just badly explained or if it was more my problem, but either way it really took me out of the story but I can only remember it happening once or twice. 

The plot was just amazing. It was interesting, moved just at the right pace for us to be able to understand the characters better. The different cultures, languages, beliefs, gangs. I felt like Bardugo revealed everything, every back story, so perfectly so she built some suspense but not too much that it got boring without any answers. I loved those backstories just as much as the actual plot (if not more!). And she managed to do it to the point that it didn't effect the actual storyline. At the same time, it was still so poignant and powerful that made you sympathize and fall in love with each character. There were so many twists and turns that I never saw coming and I loved being surprised by them. She had a way of foreshadowing certain things that you know would come into play later but making you forget about them or see them in one light instead of another so when they actually do come into play, they are still so very shocking. I loved being blindsighted by things we didn't know about just like how the characters were blind sighted in their point of view. It's something I've rarely experienced (as it always feels like the readers are clued in before the characters) but I loved experiencing it. It made it feel even more immersive.

And as a side note, I loved the mentions of the original trilogy. The Little Palace, the civil war, Nikolai, Zoya....it felt like a little glimpse into the world I had loved and was a part of previously and it almost felt nostalgic. I didn't love so much the animal deaths which I do feel like is a pattern in Bardugo's writing but it's just not my cup of tea, especially with how descriptive they are.

But all in all, the characters were what got me. I couldn't even pick a favorite character because they were just all amazing. And I also loved their connections with each other, the slight distrust, the acknowledgement of the fragility between them because they weren't heroes. I loved it. Their life stories, their individual storylines that we get to explore and get hints about even if not the full picture, are all so compelling and well developed. Its difficult not to love them all and root for them. This story of people who are seen as expendable, not important to the world, and how these outcasts can survive without the favor of the world. They're likely my favorite parts of the story because they were all filled with so much struggle but at the same time strength that kind of blew me away. I loved how strong all the characters were and how each of them showed their strength and how they had to get it. It was realistic, heartbreaking and made you feel just as determined for them as they felt themselves. I think Inej is the embodiment of this and I just loved her so much. I loved how much she kept true to herself, fought through her tragedies. Her strength even at her lowest times. Her journey to her purpose was so beautiful to see. And I adored her connection with her people, her family (even still), her culture and her faith.

Even the one character I wasn't sure about, Matthias proved himself to be equally interesting in his plight between his values, his country, his faith and what he is now learning about the world and different cultures. I don't even think I can put into words just how much I appreciated seeing their different walks of life, how that shaped them and what they became because of them. Especially being able to sympathize with them through their stories - even Matthias, especially Matthias and his culture of hatred against Grisha which, at least in Matthias' case, is put into perspective and given reason but how he still grew from that and used his experiences of the world outside of his little bubble to progress past those thoughts and begin thinking for himself.  

I loved how badass Kaz was. His coolness in situations even when dealing with Pekka. His story, the understanding of his weaknesses. His intelligence, to see the way he led a gang that wasn't even his, led them to prosperity with his own work. He was such a compelling and terrifying character. And quite possibly my favorite. His backstory was so so heartbreaking and I loved being able to understand him, and how much he always carried that part with him and always has vengeance for it on his mind. It was also great to see the reminders of just how young he was through those scenes where he finally lost his facade, where he was reminded of his losses, where his need for revenge snuck back in. His black gloves and cane just made him into more of an icon in my mind. 

I loved Wylan and Jesper. Wylan was such a sweetheart and learning about his life, family, made me want to protect him and see him be nothing but happy. I loved his kindness despite everything. Jesper's character being so much deeper than originally thought, both in terms of him coming to terms with who he is, who he wants to be, and also about his past with his family and his addictions was such a pleasant surprise and I just want to know more and more about him and his feelings and struggles. And his attachment with his guns, his love of danger and inability to sit still was such a fun thing to watch. He really added so much personality and life to the story that I really appreciated. I also loved watching Jesper's connection with Kaz and how that eventually changes as the story progresses and what that will mean for their closeness. 

I felt especially attached to Nina because of her connection with the Shadow and Bone trilogy and again, it felt like such a thrill whenever I could connect the two worlds. I loved her patriotism, so so so much. Her sacrifice. And I loved her friendship with Inej. I think female friendships are so under appreciated and to see it so easily and full of respect and love, it was honestly my favorite dynamic. Which is saying a lot because the subtle relationships between the characters, the friendships, the crushes, the love, the disdainful respect, was so entertaining to read about and really just made me giddy to keep reading about these characters. 

The romance aspect was great as well. I think it was sprinkled in just enough to really get us invested but not so much that it took away from the actual stories and the individual battles each character goes through. Kaz and Inej's relationship was especially my favorite because to see a character like Kaz who has suffered so much act like such a teenage boy that has a crush and cares about Inej so much but is literally unable to express his feelings and does so in subtle ways instead is such a cute if not exasperating experience that I loved to see play out.

For a review where I'm sure I said 'love' way too often, I will concede that I didn't love how it ended. I didn't expect a cliffhanger and I would have wished for them to end in different circumstances, to have a more full rounded all-together scene, which we didn't get. But that may be more of a disappointment personal wish than a plot problem because plot-wise, it was such a shocking and exciting (for the second book) turn of events. Also I can't pretend as if I didn't spend the whole book waiting for a Wylan chapter.





1 comment:

  1. wow! how beautifully you have put out your perspective. I agree with the most part of it. although i would have loved to see them all coming together in the end, but then, that's how it was meant to end. I have finished this duology like 2 days back...since then i just can't take it off my mind.
    i loved this review

    ReplyDelete