Search This Blog

September 10, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors



For me, a favorite author isn't just someone I enjoy one book of - even if it's one of my favorites. They're authors I have enjoyed multiple books of and/or plan on continuing reading future books. At the same time, its not an author whose books I all enjoy. A favorite author is an auto-buy author. Even if there are a few of their books that I didn't like, I would still continue buying more of their books just because I know its more likely than not that I will want to read their writing, worlds and am most likely to enjoy them.


Ally Carter
Ally Carter really is just an ultimate for me. All the books I've read of hers, I've enjoyed and she is the reason I became a reader in the first place. Her Gallagher Girls series quite literally changed my life! I haven't read her newer series but I definitely plan to. I'd give anything she puts out a chance because she hasn't let me down yet.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
          Gallagher Girls Series                                                       Embassy Row Trilogy
          Heist Society Series

Sarah Dessen
Sarah Dessen is one of my most owned authors. I've read so many of her books and though, I was disappointed with at least one, I still only think of positives when I think of her work as an author. Her books are so beautifully crafted and put me in such a great place, even if she covers heavier topics.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
          Lock and Key                                                                    Saint Anything
          The Truth about Forever                                                   The Rest of the Story
          Along for the Ride                                                             What Happened to Goodbye
          This Lullaby                                                                      Once and For All
          Just Listen                                                                        The Moon and More
                                                                                                  That Summer

John Green
Another one of my most owned authors, John Green rarely ever disappoints. Again, this doesn't mean he never disappoints. I think one of my lowest ratings I've given have been to one of his books. But also some of my highest ratings have gone to his books. I love how his books really make me think and see the world in new ways. I will never hesitate buying a book that has his name on it.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
          Looking for Alaska                                                          Will Grayson, Will Grayson
          Paper Towns                                                                  Turtles All the Way Down
          An Abundance of Katherines
          The Fault in Our Stars

Cassandra Clare
The creativity in which Cassandra Clare writes her stories leave me breathless. I love being a part of her worlds. Her books give me an escape to a point where few other books have taken me. They make me want to keep reading and reading. Seeing her stories on shelves bring me back to those moments and make me so happy.

                      Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
The Mortal Instruments Series (Books 1-4)                              The Infernal Devices Series
                                                                                         The Dark Artifices Series
                                                                                    The Last Hours Series

Maggie Stiefvater
Maggie Stiefvater is the author to my favorite series so of course she's going to be on here. Truth be told, her other series I've read was disappointing and so I was hesitant about including her especially since I think a favorite author shouldn't be based just on one book or series - even if it's a favorite. But I think her writing has evolved so much since then that I wouldn't even think twice about reading or buying her future books, which is why I decided that she has progressed into becoming one of my favorites.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
          The Raven Cycle Series (Books 1-2)                                  All the Crooked Saints
          The Shiver Trilogy (Books 1-2)                                         Dreamer Trilogy

Khaled Hosseini
Khaled Hosseini manages to create such beautiful and heartbreaking stories that capture my emotions in a way no other author is capable. The topics he covers, the people he represents, are so necessary. I never want to stop reading his stories and once I do, I just want to know more. I associate his name with great writing and even better storytelling.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
          The Kite Runner                                                             And the Mountains Echoed
          A Thousand Splendid Suns

Meg Cabot
Meg Cabot has written so many good stories I wasn't even sure where to begin with her. I love her for so many reasons. Nostalgic purposes of course but also because of how incredibly she goes from genre to genre without it effecting her book qualities. I can pick up any of her books and be guaranteed that it won't be awful. She's like a go to at this point. Need a light easy read? A contemporary? A mythological read? A supernatural story? She has everything.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
         All American Girl                                                             No Judgements
         Abandon Trilogy (Book 1)                                                 Airhead Trilogy
         The Princess Diaries Series (Book 1)
         1-800-WERE-R-YOU Series (Book 1)
         The Mediator Series (Book 1)

Lauren Oliver
Another author of one of my favorites, Lauren Oliver is characterized in my mind by her writing style. Her name is enough to make me interested in a book because I know, no matter what, I'll be immersed in the world because of how well she writes her settings, events and emotions. A queen of endings, I am planning on reading many more books of hers.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
          Before I Fall                                                                   Panic
          Delirium Trilogy (Book 1)                                                Replica Duology

J.K. Rowling
I think J.K. Rowling's placement on any Favorite Authors List should be no surprise. But for me, it was more of a debate. As I've said, a favorite author must be someone who I've either read multiple books/series or am interested in reading further books/series because of how well they've impacted me. J.K. Rowling is neither. She's an incredible author but I'm not interested in her books other than Harry Potter. However, I think that Harry Potter has made enough of an impact on me and on society to be an exception. Harry Potter will forever stay with me, it's not one of those series I will forget overtime. I love it and feel connected enough to be proud of my House and to feel like I know the characters which is something I think will never be replicated by any other book.

 Read:                                                                                    Want to Read:
            The Harry Potter Series (Book 1)                                    Fantastic Beasts
                                                                                                Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

William Shakespeare
I was so unsure about putting William Shakespeare on here because I didn't want to feel pretentious. But it's the truth. William Shakespeare was a master with words and from his comedies and tragedies to his sonnets, I love reading his work. I'm not saying I've loved all of his work or have read all of it, but even the ones I won't enjoy, I would read anything of his just to appreciate the cultural aspect of it and because, its more likely than not that I will enjoy it. Some of my favorite stories are from Shakespeare.

 Read:                                                                                    Favorite(s):
            Romeo and Juliet                                                          A Midsummer Night's Dream
            Julius Caesar
            The Tempest
            A Midsummer Night's Dream

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree with a favourite author being an auto buy. My favourite book ever is The Time Travellers Wife but Audrey Niffenegger is not my favourite author because that's is the only book of hers I've read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My favorite book is not by someone I consider a favorite author either. It's more about the collection of books and stories than just one really great work in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. I'm the same, I can't just read one book when I find an aouthor I like. Have you tried Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy, you might really enjoy it. Also Deborah Harkness All Souls Trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't read either but I've definitely heard of them. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check them out.

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read any John Green or Casandra Clare books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend them! I think the world Cassandra Clare has built with the Shadowhunters is so incredible and something great to experience and John Green's writing style is just so beautiful. Paper Towns and TFIOS are my two favorites from him.

      Delete