Search This Blog

August 30, 2019

Summer Break Wrap Up


It's time for a wrap up of everything I read during my summer break. So much has happened this summer in terms of books/reading. I got back into reading, first off! It had been years since I have read for pleasure (which I will discuss further in a future post) and I'm so glad I decided to pick up my favorite hobby again. I created this blog! Which has been such a great addition to my life with all the great people I've met and how much it reminds me of how much I used to love book blogging when I was younger. Now, lets get into the books!


Books Read: 14
Number of Pages Read: 4,472

       
 
   



Torn by Amanda Hocking★★★★
Such a great book to restart reading. It was easy to get immersed in the world and in the plot. 

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins★★★★★
New favorite book! Gives me butterflies just thinking about it. A nice, easy, fun read.

The Devouring by Simon Holt★★★
I think I'm going to end up unhauling this. Horror just definitely isn't for me but in all actuality, the plot and supernatural-world building was pretty interesting.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher★★★★
I got kind of bored in certain places but overall, it was good. It made me want to rewatch the show.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater★★★★★
New favorite series! I could gush about this book/series for hours upon hours. 

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart★★★.5
It was okay. The saving grace was the ending. But I think it's very possible to make a good mystery without making it so vague that it feels like nothing is happening. This book failed at that.

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner★★★★.5
So so so good. I remember how good it was and it definitely should've been a five star. Too bad Thomas and Theresa annoyed me so much.

Matched by Ally Condie★★★★
I had high expectations and was let down a bit but overall, I think it was a good story and I'm looking forward to reading more of it.

Devotion: For Love or Honor by Isabella Harron★★★.5
Really surprising how good this was! I was so invested with the relationship and I loved seeing it unfold. The slow burn was perfect. Lost interest in the second part and I felt like some storylines should've been explored earlier but overall, pretty good.

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen★★★★
Definitely one of my favorite Sarah Dessen books, just behind The Truth About Forever. The plot, relationship dynamics were explored so artistically. Beautiful is the only word I could possibly describe it as.

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa★★★★
Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind is how annoying Meghan was. But I do remember that this was much better than the first book. In the plot, side characters, and world - I loved the majority of what was presented to me.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman★★★★
Characters character characters. They make this book. It was beautiful to see them interact and how complex they were - even the side characters. The book itself felt really realistic, a large part because of the characters. There were more downsides, however, than I would have liked - writing style, emotional detachment, etc.

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Steifvater★★★★★
Another great book in an extraordinary series. This time I found myself more disappointed/annoyed with some characters and storylines but the overall plot and the bond each character holds won me out and overpowered everything that was less than incredible.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver★★★★
Now that I think of it, this is really similar to Matched by Ally Condie. I felt the same way about both; I was slightly let down, I wanted more out of the plot and world but the relationships really made this book. Can't wait to read the second book - especially after that ending!

I plan on continuing one with all the series (save The Devouring which I plan to unhaul) I've read this summer and I found new favorite books/series - Anna and the French Kiss and The Raven Cycle!

Short Stories: 1
Number of Pages Read: 26


One Day: Three Ways by Amanda Hocking - ★★★★★

I LOVED this addition to the second book. I think it was so incredible to see different personalities and perspectives. Especially when in the actual book, personalities and conversation through we can see personality, is so hard to come by. The book focuses more on talking of duty instead of what the characters are like. I also feel like this not only gave a good insight on the characters but filled in a lot of blanks in the book of why people were motivated in a certain way. My favorite storyline was Tove's and I think its because it embodies this fact perfectly. We see his motivations, personality and how he sees the world in a way that was never explained in the book.

Other Posts:

Book Haul

Aladdin Book Tag

Fourth of July Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Couples

Blogger Recognition Award

University Book Tag

How was your summer? What did you read/what was your favorite thing you read?
If you have your own summer posts/wrap ups, let me know! I'd love to read them.

2 comments:

  1. Anna and the French Kiss has been one of my favorites this year!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started it, I had no idea I would love it as much as I did! It's just too good.

      Delete