Search This Blog

March 28, 2020

Books that Shaped me as a Reader


Without even realizing it, books have been such a formative force in my life. Since I learned how to read, they not only helped me grow academically but also personally. I thought it would be nice to go through each book that made an impact enough on me and my life as a reader throughout my childhood. I think a lot of the books that have impacted me are universal for a lot of young readers and I'd love to have that bond with so many of you!



If it weren't for these books, I don't think I would be a reader. They weren't life changingly good but they were enough for me to see the allure of books. They felt like tv shows to young me who picked these up at the library but only even more personal because it felt like I was friends with the character, with them in their every day life. I remember, especially, the Rainbow Magic books, I had a goal of reading every single one of the books from the series (but I never quite made it).

I felt myself step into new shoes and new friendships with these characters and stories that were so entertaining, especially to me as an only child.


These books I read in later elementary school and for the first time, I felt myself be mesmerized by the story. These books had a level of plot twist and mystery to them that gripped me in a way I never thought anything other than TV could. Particularly The Witches which I re-read multiple times and watched the movie, giving me an even higher level of appreciation for how much a story can hold, and Who Stole Halloween that sucked me in so much that I still remember how much I loved it even though I read it in Elementary School

It opened up my curiosity into reading in a deeper way than books ever had before, actually enjoying the story and appreciating the plot. 


These books showed me that books could be meaningful. I read all 3 of these for class. They covered grief, racism, environmentalism. I cried with these books, I emphasized with these books. I own The Watsons Go to Birmingham because it impacted me so much. I've reread it multiple times and remember it even more times. Every time I think of Esperanza Rising, I go back to the time I first read it and how I felt at that time.

These books showed me the impact a book can have on a reader and how much meaning it could hold, outside of just being fun stories. 


These books were my introduction to solo reading and reading at a higher level. They were my first time getting transported to a new world full of wonders and characters that I could see myself with on their journey. Replica, particularly, impacted my reading so much that I could still tell you what the plot was. Children of the Lamp was a book I remember reading and re-reading constantly because it was so new and addicting.

I really got a taste of fiction, fictional worlds and bonding with the plot with these books and I attribute my current love of fiction and trope preferences to these books. 


What books do you attribute with shaping you as a reader? Have you read any books I have?

6 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I love this idea and I'd like to do a similar post now! (If I do, I will link to this post, I promise ♡)

    I think the Seekers series by Erin Hunter really shaped me early on as a reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'd LOVE to see you post something like this, it's so interesting to me to see how similar/connected our reading experiences can be.

      The Seekers series was such a deep memory but now, I definitely remember always seeing it in the library and even picking it up a few times.

      Delete
  2. So many great picks! I believe that we read as kids stays with us for the rest of our lives. At this age, books can really work magic. I'm happy to see Roald Dahl's book included <3

    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely agree. Books can have such an impact on you as a person and really stick with you, even if you read them as a kid.

      Delete
  3. I'm an only child too!!! Growing up, I definitely turned to books a lot when I was lonely. Roald Dahl was a favorite of mine back then, I must have read Matilda 30 times as an 8-10 year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books were such a big company for me! Especially Roald Dahl and books like his when I was little. I didn't even realize how much support they gave me until I thought back on how much time I spent reading.

      Delete