Search This Blog

March 9, 2020

Book Unhaul


I'm on Spring Break so I thought it was the perfect time for some spring cleaning. This means a book unhaul! My first book unhaul. I'm usually one of those people that keeps any and every book I've ever owned but recently, I've found that I need so much more space on my already tiny bookshelves and I was already taking books out I didn't like or am not interested in reading and putting them in a different storage. But after enough books taken out, I thought it was finally time to part with them. Plus, if I can sell them on ebay and get a little extra money from them, that's just a win-win situation right? So here's my unhaul:


Now this is my pile! Most of these books are just books I don't think I'll ever pick up but there are a few that I have read and mostly liked. This might be a long post because I'm going to go through my thoughts on each book and why I've ultimately decided to part with them.

The first book is The Bone Palace by Amanda Downum. I was gifted with book years ago by a friend who knows how much I love reading. Unfortunately, not only is it the second book in a series I've never read but it's in a genre I don't normally read or even really like. So I don't plan on even attempting to read the book or series. I'm grateful for the present but it's time to let it go.
The next book is Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. I don't even know how this ended up in my possession since I never read adult romance books. While I like Sparks' movie adaptations, I can not see myself reading a book version of those plot lines. I definitely think someone will want to own this book more than I do.
Now I'm getting rid of A Game of the Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Now this is a book I actually have read, or at least attempted to (200 pages is still pretty good right?). But as I kept reading, I realized the story line is just a bit too complex for me: too many characters, too my plot lines, too much history. I just wasn't all that interested in continuing, evidenced by the fact that I never watched the show either. I really liked two characters but that is just not enough to continue the book or the series. I know how popular this series is so I know it'll find a better home.
Talent by Zoey Dean is one of the few books I actually didn't like. I read it a few years ago so I don't quite remember what I didn't like but I know it was memorable enough for me to remember I definitely didn't like it. So why hold on to something I didn't enjoy so much that it's the only thing I think of when I look at it on my shelves.
I bought Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus back when I was a huge Miley Cyrus fan. Buut things got in the way and I never actually got to reading it and now I'm not a fan anymore so what's the use in keeping it. 
Singer in the Snow by Louise Marley is another book I have no idea how or why I got it. I tried picking it up a few times but the writing style was not my favorite and the mood of the book was just not letting me really enjoy the book. I wasn't enjoying the plot or even the story building either. I ended up just having it separated from all of my books because I didn't like it so much so I think it's time to let it go. 
The Real Enemy by Kathy Herman is a christian fiction novel that I vaguely remember buying. But it's not in a genre I've ever read or am interested in reading so I never actually picked it up and I don't ever plan to.
Next I'm unhauling Rin, Tongue and Dorner by Rich Shapiro. I got this book randomly on the street and honestly? I regret picking it up so much. I tried to read at least the first chapter and I hated the writing style. So I closed the book and hid it from my sight. Getting it out of my house will feel pretty good.
Unhauling Harry Potter? *gasp*. Except I'm not, technically. I found a beautiful hardcover version of this same cover for really cheap and I just prefer to keep a hardcover copy of this amazing series. So I am keeping the book, just not this particular copy.
I LOVED W.I.T.C.H. as a kid (and still do) but I really only like the cartoon and graphic novels. When I bought this book I really thought it was a part of the graphic novel series. Boy was I wrong. I read it anyway and I think I enjoyed it but it's just not something I want to keep. I'd rather continue reading the graphic novels instead.
Next I have Notorious by Cecily von Ziegesar. Once again, it's not the first book in the series which is the first issue. But it's really a non-issue because I read it anyway and I don't think it took too much away from the story. However, as I've grown as a person and a reader, I don't think I'd enjoy continuing on with this series especially since it's just so long.
Next I have the first and ninth book in the Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot. I love Meg Cabot and own quite a few of her books so parting with a few from my Cabot collection has been a really hard decision. I liked the first book fair enough but with the series being so long and, just like with Notorious, since my reading tastes have changed dramatically, I think it's just better to part with this series I don't want to continue.

I'm also unhauling The Devouring by Simon Holt. I reviewed this last year and while I did enjoy the book - I thought the world building was so interestingly done and the plot was really unique - I just don't like anything that has to do with horror and honestly, I'll feel pretty relieved to get this out of my house. But since I know it's a good book, I'll also be pretty happy to know someone else can have the opportunity to enjoy this book more than I did. 
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen is the next book I'm unhauling. I bought this edition when I was younger and unfortunately, I was too young to fully enjoy or understand the novel. Once I read Pride and Prejudice, however, and loved it, I decided to try it again. Not only did I still not like it, I realized it was the plot that wasn't interesting to me - no matter how much I loved Austen's other book. 
Last but not least, I'm unhauling Frankly in Love by David Yoon. Now this might come as a surprise since this is a newer release and I haven't even read it yet. But the craziest thing happened when I got this novel from my subscription box: I got TWO (2) copies. I'm keeping one, obviously, as I'm very excited to get to this book. But I definitely don't need two. So no, this unhaul has nothing to do with a very unpopular opinion about this book. It's just being practical.
Usually in my posts, I try not to talk bad about books even if I didn't like them but I felt like for some here, I had to, in order to explain why I'm getting rid of them. But it still definitely felt weird.
What did you guys think of my unhaul? How often do you unhaul your books?

4 comments:

  1. Frankly in love was such an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many good things about it! I'm really excited to read it.

      Delete
  2. I recently cleaned out my bookshelf too and I noticed that I wanted to get rid of a good half of my bookshelf! Not sure if I'll donate it tho...
    Vivien @ Pages of Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so refreshing to do it, clearing up your shelves and getting rid of books that don't make you feel happy.

      Delete