Search This Blog

July 1, 2020

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag


Hi guys! I was tagged by Delaney at Book Lovers Lifting and Crushing. Thank you so much for the tag, I'm so excited to get to it. Go check out her blog, she is so kind and I love reading her posts. I've seen, and I'm sure a lot of people have, so many booktubers/book bloggers do this tag and it's so interesting to see the different reading habits and books readers have gone through throughout the year - especially this year since it's been so crazy. 

So let's get right into it and I hope you enjoy!



How much have you read?

For summer? Not a lot. But I've been taking a summer course so that's the reason why. However, I have been adamant about reading at least a little so I have gone through about 3-4 books this year and I'm working on a 5th. Which I know is pretty bad but I'm focusing on my academics/career so I'm pretty happy about it. It gets better when I'm on winter break.

Best Book You've Read so Far in 2020?

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater which I technically started in 2019 but finished like the second day of 2020 so I'm counting it! I have an entire review of my thoughts but it was a 5 star book, I love the characters, I love the world. It's my favorite book series and I get this fuzzy feeling everytime I think of it.

Best Sequel you've Read so Far in 2020?

I haven't really read sequels thus far so it'd have to be BL,LB by Maggie Stiefvater again for the same reasons above.

New Release you haven't Read yet but want to?
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins! I've heard so many things about this book and I have read and loved The Hunger Games trilogy when I was younger so of course I really want to read this book. I think the premise of having our main character be the villain for the original trilogy is so interesting and I think the book can be really thought provoking. One of my best friend's has already read the book and I'm so jealous!

Most Anticipated Release for the Second Part of the Year?

Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer! I feel like both of these last two books I've chosen are continuation of childhood series and that might not be a coincidence. I loved Twilight, books and movies, which I know can be 'controversial' but they were such a big part of who I was when I was younger. I remember hearing about Midnight Sun years and years ago and I thought that it would be so amazing to read the story in Edward's eyes. So to have it finally come out, I'm bursting with excitement.

Biggest Disappointment?

It wasn't a disappointment per se, because I enjoyed the book enough to give it 4 stars. However, when I picked up Hush, Hush I expected myself to completely fall in love with the characters, to rave about it. Partly because I spent so many years wanting to read it. However, it kind of fell flat in that case. It was a good book and I enjoyed the characters. But I never felt a huge connection to it, which was more than a little disappointing.

Biggest Surprise?

My current read! Off Script by Kate Watson. It's such a good book with an incredibly interesting array of characters that just have so many levels of complexity. It's so good. Not that I expected it to be bad, but I just didn't think I would like it as much as I do.

New Favorite Author (Debut or new to you)?

Kate Watson for the reason said above. This is my first book from her and it makes me want to pick up the other companion novels in the series to read more about these characters.

Rereads this year?

I'm actually rereading The Raven Boys in Spanish! But not actively.

Newest Fictional Crush?

Liam Price (from Off Script) has my heart. And I should also give a shoutout  to Patch.

Newest Favorite Character?

That's actually a pretty hard one because, since I've only read a handful of books, I don't think I have a favorite character. My standards have also really elevated due to one Richard Campbell Gansey III so it's hard for just any character I like to qualify now.

Books that made you Cry?

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie really hit deep. It was such an unexpectedly emotional read that left me really thinking about culture and race/class divides. 

Books that made you Happy?

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray! It was such a funny book that dealt so many important messages and shared a lot of my beliefs so it was so great to see them actually written down in a YA book (which really should happen more often)!

Favorite Book to Film Adaptation?

I don't think I've seen a Book to Film adaptation in 2020!

Most Beautiful Cover you've Bought this year (or Received)?

I bought the Grisha/Shadow and Bone Trilogy and the covers are just so beautiful. Even the spines.

What Books do you Need to Read by the End of the Year?

I hope to read to read Six of Crows and/or finish up The Mortal Instruments series.

Favorite Book Community Members?

Everyone that is so kind to me. This is such a welcoming and friendly community and I continuously love being a part of it.

This was so fun! And pretty motivating for me to make more time to read. If any of you haven't done this yet but want to, consider yourselves tagged!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read something by Kate Watson for a while now! Great post. 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This year was the first time I've read or heard of her books and I am so glad I picked one up. Definitely made me excited for her other works.

      Delete