Search This Blog

August 26, 2012

Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative new voice in contemporary fiction: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.


Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.



One of my favorites of all time. 5 Stars! Amazing book.
 Characters: One of my favorite parts of this book was the characters. I loved them because they were all far from perfect. They all had major problems that made them more relatable. And they each had their own personality. I loved Charlie. During the whole book I just wanted to go in and help him. Sam and Patrick were great. They showed him how to have fun and how to be part of something and I really respect them for that. The other side characters like Mary Elizabeth, Alice, Peter, Bill, Bob, Brad, and Craig were good too. They all somehow contributed to the life of Charlie. One thing that I especially liked was that when they did something bad, it wasn't just like the next day the situation would fix itself. I liked that they actually had to work hard to fix the mess that they created.
 Plot: The plot was great. The story is written as letters, and at first I didn't know how I would like it but I ended up loving it. I liked that the things that happened in the story happen all the time in real life. And the book isn't afraid of going into serious subjects. Throughout the whole book you get the feeling that somethings wrong with Charlie, and in the end you do get to do know. And once you do you will be surprised and if your like me you will question the world we're living in. This book also has some philosphy in here. I don't know if its obvious or you have to search for it but I picked it up pretty easily.
Overall: Overall this book was completely amazing. But if you do not like sex, drugs, and gay relationships I would probably avoid this book but even if you don't like those things I strongly urge you to read it because if you don't, you're missing out on a great read. I'm sorry if my review isn't good but this book is so good I just can't put it into words.

4 comments:

  1. THis book has been on my TBR for awhile! After this review, I just may have to bump it up in the queue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I really encourage that you get it, its a very good book and it changed how I looked at somethings.

      Delete
  2. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that i've nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. For more info click on the link : http://leopardkittybooks.blogspot.com/2012/09/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I'll get started on it right away :D

    ReplyDelete