Search This Blog

September 27, 2012

Review: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Ok I'd like to first say I am soooooo sorry for being so tardy in this review. I actually finished this on the 20th but I just got around to getting this review done because my laptop just came home from the shop, I had to get it fixed :'( But now you will see more of me! Whether you like it or not :P

Ruby, where is your mother?" Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she's been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.That's how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn't seen in ten years, and Cora's husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future—it's a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?





Characters: I loved Ruby, I felt that with all that went on in her life and how quickly everything felt that she was very believable in how she acted. At times I did feel that she was unreasonable but she had a right to be. I liked Nate a lot too, he was just a sweet and nice boy that I really loved to read about. The side characters like Cora, Jamie, Olivia, and Gervais were great too. I loved that they each had there own personality though sometimes I felt that Olivia and Gervais were a bit plain.

Plot: The plot I really liked. I loved how Sarah Dessen wasn't afraid of going into touchy subjects. I admit in the beginning I really didn't like her writing style because I wasn't very used to it but once I did I loved it so much. The pacing wasn't too slow and not too fast. I liked especially that the book didn't drag on, I wasn't once bored and wondering when it would end. One major problem I had with this book was that sometimes I felt that it was very predictable at times. Sometimes I was very surprised but other times I wasn't very impressed. 

Overall: Overall I really liked this book, one of my favorites but I had to give it a 4 stars for the predictability. The reason it took me so long to read was not because I didn't thoroughly enjoy it, it was because I was very busy. So if you have time to read this book I would highly recommend it. But I think that 14+ would like this book more than younger teens.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Just Listen is the only Sarah Dessen book i've read and with all the reviews i was a little disappointed in it but this book sounds good.
    Follower!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And Sarah Dessen is a very good author. Maybe just try one more book of hers and if you don't like it, maybe Sarah Dessen just isn't your cup of tea :P

    ReplyDelete