Search This Blog

October 1, 2012

Review: The Time-Traveling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky

What if a beautiful vintage dress could take you back in time?Louise Lambert has always dreamed of movie starlets and exquisite gowns and longs for the day when she can fill the closet of her normal suburban home with stylish treasures. But when she receives a mysterious invitation to a vintage fashion sale in the mail, her once painfully average life is magically transformed into a time-travel adventure. 

Suddenly onboard a luxurious cruise ship a hundred years ago, Louise relishes the glamorous life of this opulent era and slips into a life of secrets, drama, and decadence. . . .







Characters: The characters in this book, I felt were really plain, you didn't really get to know anything of how they were. How they thought. Just how you saw them on the outside and I felt the author didn't really give them a personality. Louise got on my nerves a lot in this story and sometimes I just wanted to reach through the book and give her a good shake. Though later on she improved. So this story had good character development. There were a lot of characters that I felt could've been given more time in the spotlight like Benjiman Guggehiem, but I felt that after a while she just got...bored with the characters and dropped them.

Plot: The plot had a good forming idea. I liked the idea of a time traveling dress but I just didn't like the way it was preformed. It just felt to rushed. The story itself felt rushed. I admit at times there were interesting moments but later on they became irrevelent. I felt that at times the author contradicted herself. There were moments where I just felt bored and it was obvious that the scenes were just plot fillers. Near the end I felt that I got more attatched to the characters but by then it was too late. I did like all the fashion snipets throughout the book, me being quite the fashionista myself. The pacing was fast and the writing style was very simple. I also liked that we found out what happened to all the lives of the people she met while on the Titanic. Also I think when she found out that she was on the Titanic, I was supposed to feel surprised. But that was the greatest disappointment of it all. I already knew, the summary gave it away.

Overall: Overall it wasn't the best book I've read. It had its downsides but I think it had its fair amounts of upsides. I know there will be a second book though I feel it would've been best if she left it at this book, it concluded very nicely. I just wish I could've enjoyed it more and I hope if you want to give it a chance you will. Who knows? Maybe this is your new favorite book.

1 comment: