Search This Blog

July 21, 2019

Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


This was a really good book. I want to get that said and out of the way before I say that even though it is good and I rated it high, I still couldn't help but feel disappointed with it. This was one of the books I've most been wanting to read, ever. It encapsulates everything I normally like in books so I thought for sure it would be one of my favorites. So I think it's fair to say that though it held a lot of things I liked, it wasn't the incredible thing I expected. 

It took me some time to understand the writing style. I had to read some passages out loud at first to get into the swing of things - which I never do. But after I got used to it, then the writing felt very smooth and easy to read. I think the way Ally Condie describes and explains emotions, feelings and her usage of metaphors was so beautifully done and it really made the book and the characters so much better.

I loved the world. I think it was so interesting to see what was changed and what was kept in this perfect futuristic society that is still based off of our current one. It was one of my favorite things to read about as world building is usually one of the best parts of a book for me. However, as much as I enjoyed seeing and imagining this 'perfect' society and how it functions, I felt like there was a downfall in the way Condie wrote about it. The book doesn't explain much in the beginning, even things that I felt could have been talked about briefly, superficially and then more in depth just to not cause confusion for unnecessary things early on. Since it doesn't, there are so many questions for things that can be explained simply and it causes the reader to feel less immersed in the society and the world. Once it does start explaining things though, the world becomes to great to be in and even in chapters that not a lot happens, you don't mind because the world is just that good.

The plot itself was very slowly paced. Halfway through the book, nothing huge had happened. The small number of important details that were mentioned were more of a slow burn that extended throughout the book. But there really was no huge, changing moment that was able to bring any huge emotion out of me about the society and its rule. I feel like the moment arrived in the last few chapters but I just wish there was more throughout the book. It wasn't as if there weren't small moments that had that potential but it was as if Condie glossed over it and didn't focus on how much it could affect, not only Cassia our main character, but the reader. 

There was actually a scene near the very end that could have been another jaw-dropping moment that could change so much, what I think would have been only the third of those moments in the book, but it was mentioned and forgotten immediately. Even the very end was anti-climatic. I understand that this is a series so a lot will be addressed later on but that just caused the first book to be nearly void of those amazing shocking moments that make the genre what it is. I get that it is a mainly romance driven book but it is also a dystopian or utopian story and I think that aspect of it was too overpowered. 

Romance is always important to me and I think often it's what dictates whether I'll love a book or not. But I also think the story itself should be just as interesting but with the slowness of the pace, it feels like the romance overpowers everything else and is the only good part of the book. I understand it's a romance dystopian novel but that doesn't mean the plot line and rebellion aspect of the book should be put on the back burner.

I do think there is focus on how little things can cause somewhat of a snowball effect which is a very realistic form of losing faith in what you've always known. Which is a positive. There's denial and confusion and I think Condie showcased this perfectly. It isn't always a chapter going by and then bam, you're a revolutionary. More so in the beginning, there would be a step forward to becoming more independent and then two steps backwards right after which made Cassia somewhat annoying but just because of the sheer intricacy of seeing everything slowly piling up, little clues and then coming together to make bigger revelations, I didn't mind.

I loved Ky so much. Which wasn't surprising, I expected to like him. But I also liked Xander, but also disliked him sometimes, which honestly was surprising because usually I have a very strict line between who I like and who I don't in a love triangle. I think both of these characters were so well written with so many layers, it was hard to dislike one of them.

The passion of Ky had to be my favorite part of this book. It was what made me want to keep reading and when there weren't scenes with him, I couldn't wait for the chapters he was in. There was perfect mix of innocence and intensity. It was also slow paced like the plot was but unlike the plot, I loved how naturally it progressed. I think it focused on the beauty of love blossoming through simple things and it was amazing to read.

Another good aspect of the book is that it really makes you think about our lives and current world. About the freedoms we currently have. The themes of creation, love, trust, freedom of choice was just so artistically done I don't even think I can fully explain why I adored it as much as I did. It was just so powerful for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment